Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Gone But Never Forgotten....

My first personal experience with a close friend/relative passing away happened nine years ago today. Although many things in life have changed and I've matured, I will never forget what I was doing or where I was at when my mom delivered me the news. I was in a very celebratory mood, just finished running my first time under 14 seconds as a freshman at Howard.

I always say that life is a roller coaster, you've got to just hold on and ride the ups and downs, well this day went from the pinnacle and spiraled into the pits faster than it took me to start and finish the race that day.

I do not know the exact day he passed, but I remember this date because it was Saturday, Easter Sunday eve in 2001 and I was in the basement at my mothers house really trying to understand what the real meaning of life was and trying to understand why God would want a family such as the Cobb's, who are great, god-fearing individuals to have to grieve the loss of a child. I came to the conclusion that those are answers no one will ever know and it's best to just live your life to the fullest because you never really know.

I have an 8x10 photo of him along with a Christmas card his mom and dad gave to me in a picture frame prominently displayed in my room, so never a day goes by that he doesn't cross my mind. Rest in peace Andrew Charles Cobb II...god's angel


Photo of Mr and Mrs Cobb and myself

5 comments:

~Lisi P. said...

Thanks for this posting. Definitely makes me think about life & "why". I try to remember that God only knows "why" at times. Maybe one day we'll find out the answer & maybe not. Gotta keep looking to the Man upstairs.

Blessings.

In My Mind said...

I think about Andrew a lot too. I was way younger than him but he was like an older brother to me and I remember that my life changed after his passing. I had so many questions about life, religion, sins, forgiveness... I guess I never really thought about what the older church kids felt about Andrew, but it's good to know that he and his family have had such a deep impact on you too.
Hope all is well!

~ Lizzi Battle

Aunt Celest said...

So sorry for your lost, but know in your heart you were, and are a good friend, to Andrew. Reading your blog brought tears to my eye's. I lost my brother 1998 and not a day goes by that I don't think about him. We did everything together. I'll never know why GOD decided to take him, but I do know for the time he was here he knew I loved him. I'm sure Andrew knew you loved him too. Alway know that he's one of the angel's GOD has watching over you. I know my brother is watching over me too.

Aunt Celest said...

Won't be around for your birthday,
so I'm saying Happy Birthday now.
Enjoy your very special day.

Dana said...

I'm very sorry for your loss and I totally feel you. My best friend passed away 3 years ago and I'll never forget how I felt in that moment when I was told. It'll be etched in my brain forever. Thinking of it now makes me tear up, but I know I'll see her again - as you will see Andrew. Keep your head up and always keep his memory alive.