Monday, April 16, 2007

Race #5: International Friendship and Freedom Games


After taking last weekend off from competition, I will be back on the track this weekend. I'll be racing at the International Friendship and Freedom Games, hosted by North Carolina A&T in Greensboro, North Carolina. It's a meet that my coach is involved in putting on, and the competition is in honor of four NCA&T freshmen, Ezell Blair, Franklin McCain, Joseph McNiel and David Richmond, who started lunch-counter sit-ins in Greensboro, February 1, 1960. The purpose of the meet is to bring attention to what is known as the "A&T Four" and the contribution they made to the civil rights movement in America. As someone who went to a Historically Black College/University, I feel honored to compete in this inaugural event and I hope it grows in to becoming one of the finest track meets in the world.
The competition in my event is shaping up to be great. The likes of Aubrey Herring (13.31), David Payne (13.31), Robby Hughes (13.26), Ron Bramlett (13.26), Eric Mitchum (13.39), Josh Walker (13.36), Joel Brown (13.22) as well as my training partners and myself are on the preliminary line-up. This is looking like a early season summit meeting with most of the best young 110 hurdlers in the U.S. I will most definitely have to be on my A game this weekend.

0 comments: